CENTRE FOR PARLIAMENTARY STUDIES & LAW REFORMS
Director: Dr. Anil R. Nair, Associate Professor.
The Centre for Parliamentary Studies and Law Reforms (CPSLR) under the National University of Advanced Legal Studies (NUALS) is an endeavour of the University to make legislation more effective for social transformation and to achieve social justice by equitable administration of law. The CPSLR adopts an inter-disciplinary approach to identify the inadequacies of present laws, suggest the changes required and support the enactment of new laws to meet emerging challenges. The Centre has initiated studies on parliamentary procedures and legislative practices to provide necessary recommendations for the rectification of defects and to better their functioning. The CPSLR strives to guarantee public participation in the process of law making to provide valuable inputs for the qualitative improvement of the law. It provides a point of convergence for law makers, academicians and the general public.
- Special Lecture on ‘The Role of the District Magistrate in Governance’, by Shri. Raghuraj M.R., Commissioner, M.P. State Employment Guarantee Council, on 30th of January, 2017 at NUALS.
- Workshop on ‘Career Options in Law’ for eleventh standard school students from CBSE Schools in and around Ernakulam in association with Vidyodaya School, Thevakkal on 25th of January, 2017 at NUALS.
- Special Lecture on ‘Can Computers make Contract?’, by Shri. Shanmugham D. Jayan, Advocate, High Court of Kerala on 19th of January, 2017 at NUALS.
- Workshop for training students for competing in Parliamentary Debate Competitions held at NUALS on 1st and 2nd of November, 2016.
- Special Lecture on ‘Jurisprudential concept of Property under the Constitution of India’, by Shri. Shanmugham D. Jayan, Advocate, High Court of Kerala on 22nd of October, 2016 at NUALS.
- Special Lecture on ‘Right to Self-determination’, by Shri. Sridip S. Nambiar, Assistant Professor, Sree Narayana Law College, Poothotta on 18th of October 2016 at NUALS
- 2-day National workshop on ‘Research Methodology and Writing Skills’ held on 9th and 10th April, 2016 jointly with the Centre for Post-Graduate Legal Studies at NUALS.
- International Seminar on ‘Legal and Economic Analysis of Goods and Service Tax’ at NUALS on 5th April, 2016 jointly with Centre for Consumer Protection Law and Policy and Centre for Law and Economics.
- NUALS Parliamentary Debate Competitions 2016 on 29th, 30th and 31st of January, 2016.
- Special Lecture by Mr. Sandeep M. Nandakumar, former Vice-Principal, Bharata Mata College of Legal Studies, Choondy, Aluva on the topic ‘Corporate Social Responsibility’ on 29 October, 2015.
- Special Lecture by Dr. Preetha S., Assistant Professor, School of Legal Studies, Cochin University of Science & Technology, Kochi, on the topic ‘Securities Law’ on 1st of October, 2015.
- Special Lecture by Ms. Michaela Lissowski, Deputy Founding Director, International Nuremberg Principles Academy, Nurembergon, Germany, on the topic ‘Nuremburg Principles’ on 18th of March, 2015.
- National Workshop on ‘Public Opinion as a Factor in Sentencing Policy’, on 10th of October, 2014.
- Special Lecture by Mr. Bhairav Acharya, Advocate, Supreme Court of India, on the topic ‘Privacy Law’ on Friday, 19th of September 2014.
- Special Lecture by Ms. Lina Acca Mathew, Assistant Professor, Government Law College, Ernakulam on the topic ‘Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012’ on 8th of August, 2014.
- CPSLR-NUALS-GIRI & GIRI Second National Research Essay Competition 2014, on the topic ‘De-Criminalising Indian Parliamentary Democracy’ concluded in June, 2014.
- National Workshop on 'Working of the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act, 2009', on 20th of March 2014.
- National Workshop on 'Legal Status of Sexual Minorities: The Indian Perspective and Need for Reform', on 22nd of February, 2014.
- Special Lecture by Dr. K.P. Pradeep, Advocate, High Court of Kerala, on the topic 'Key Issues on Cyberspace Taxation' on 28th of January, 2014.
- Special Lecture by Dr. K.N. Chandrasekharan Pillai, Former Director, National Judicial Academy, Bhopal, on the topic ‘Human Rights and the Indian Criminal Justice System’ on 16th of August 2013.
- One Day National Workshop on the Criminal Laws (Amendment) Ordinance, 2013, on Saturday, 2nd of March, 2013 at the NUALS.
- CPSLR-NUALS-Giri & Giri First National Legal Research Essay Competition, 2012, on the topic ‘Foreign Direct Investment in Retail Sector in India’ concluded in November, 2012.
- National Seminar on ‘Electoral Reforms and the Law’, NUALS, March 7-8, 2012.
- National Seminar on ‘Goods and Service Taxation in India: Fiscal and Constitutional Issues’ in Association with Gulati Institute of Taxation & Finance, Mascot Hotel, Trivandrum, September 27-28, 2011.
- Address by Mr. P.C. Chacko, Honourable Member of Parliament, on ‘Parliamentary Privileges’, NUALS, October 13, 2011.
- National Workshop on ‘Making the Emigration Act, 1983 more Migrant Friendly’, NUALS, February 16, 2011.
Address for Communications:
Centre for Parliamentary Studies and Law Reforms,
The National University of Advanced Legal Studies,
HMT Colony P.O., Kalamassery,
Cochin - PIN 683503, Kerala.